Northwestern Washington Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Washington, D.C. 2013
In the northwestern lowlands between the Snohomish River and the Canadian border you're never far from saltwater or mountains. Three rivers lazily wind through valleys covered in meadows and woods: the Stillaguamish, the Skagit, and the Nooksack. Rocky hills, which once were islands, have been joined to the mainland by the alluvial deposits of the streams, making for a rather flat landscape in places. Such former islands rise as hills above Burlington, La Conner, and Mount Vernon. A few rocky islands still rise offshore, though their proximity to the land almost makes them peninsulas: Fidalgo Island is separated from the mainland by a slough; Guemes and Lummi Island by a narrow passage. Despite its name, Samish Island is a peninsula.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Northwestern Washington restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Northwestern Washington
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Starting Fr $153: Great Bellingham Price Save with Hotels.com, $17/night less
- Starting Fr $119: Great Bellingham Price Save with Hotels.com, $27/night less
- $21.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bellingham Hotwire
- Book in Wenatchee Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- $26.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bellingham — $27 Hotwire
1. The Bavarian-style mountain village of Leavenworth... Read more
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now54° F Scattered Clouds 80% Humidity May 26, 2013 at 0:53AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
At least 2 vehicles went into the water. Read more