- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Leavenworth is one of Seattle's favorite weekend getaways, and it's easy to see why: the charming (if occasionally too cute) Bavarian-style village, home to good restaurants and attractive lodgings, is a hub for some of the Northwest's best skiing, hiking, rock climbing, rafting, canoeing, and snowshoeing.
A railroad and mining center for many years, Leavenworth fell on hard times around the 1960s, and civic leaders, looking for ways to capitalize on the town's setting in the heart of the Central Cascade Range, convinced shopkeepers and other businesspeople to maintain a gingerbread-Bavarian architectural style in their buildings. Today, even the Safeway supermarket and the Chevron gas station carry out the theme. Restaurants prepare Bavarian-influenced dishes, candy shops sell Swiss-style chocolates, and stores and boutiques stock music boxes, dollhouses, and other Bavarian items.
Leavenworth at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northwestern Washington
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $162.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Bellingham Hotwire
- Starting Fr $119: Great Bellingham Price Save with Hotels.com, $27/night less
- $19.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bellingham Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Express Bellingham in May: $153 & Up — $153 Expedia
- $16.95 & up : Compact rentals in Bellingham — $17 Hotwire