- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This attractive riverfront town is the county seat of Skagit County and was founded in 1871. After a giant log jam on the lower Skagit was cleared, steamers began churning up the river, and Mount Vernon soon became the major commercial center of the Skagit Valley, a position it has never relinquished. More recently, Mount Vernon was named Best Small City in the U.S. by The New Rating Guide to Life in America's Small Cities.
The city is surrounded by dairy pastures, vegetable fields, and bulb farms, and is famous for its annual Tulip Festival in April, when thousands of people visit to admire the floral exuberance. Rising above downtown and the river, 972-foot-high Little Mountain is a city park with a view. It used to be an island until the mudflats were filled in by Skagit River silt. Glacial striations in rocks near the top of the mountain, dating from the last continental glaciation (10,000-20,000 years ago), were made when the mountain (and all of the Puget Sound region) was covered by some 3,500 feet of ice.
Mount Vernon at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northwestern Washington
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 & Up: Cheap Bellingham Stay Hotels.com
- $76.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Bellingham Hotwire
- $37.71 & up : Midsize rentals in Wenatchee Hotwire
- Book in Bellingham Fr $119+/Nt — $119 Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- $35.14 & up : Compact rentals in Wenatchee — $36 Hotwire