- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Before the cowboys came, the Methow Valley was a favorite gathering place for Indian tribes, who dug the plentiful and nutritious bulbs and hunted deer while their horses fattened on the tall native grasses. For wayward pioneers who came later, the cool, glacier-fed streams provided welcome relief on hot summer days, and the rich fields were a starting point for vast crops and orchards. The 1800s saw the burgeoning riverside settlement of Winthrop grow into a cattle-ranching town, whose residents inspired some of Owen Wister's colorful characters in his novel The Virginian. Today Winthrop, in the center of the Methow Valley, still retains its Wild West character throughout the business district, where many of the original, turn-of-the-20th-century buildings still stand.
Getting to town through the Washington countryside is a picturesque drive, with endless vistas of golden meadows, neatly sewn crop fields, and rustic old barn frames. In winter the land is a crisp blanket of glittering frost; in summer little fruit-and-vegetable stands pop up along the back roads. Massive tangles of blackberry bushes produce kumquat-size fruit you can eat right off the vines, and the pungent aroma of apples pervades the breezes in autumn. Flat roads, small towns, incredible views, and plenty of camp spots make this the perfect weekend wandering territory by bike, car, or motorcycle.
Winthrop at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northwestern Washington
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Wenatchee: Book Fr $55+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Wenatchee this May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- $37.71 & up : Midsize rentals in Wenatchee Hotwire
- Book in Wenatchee Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Hotels.com
- $35.14 & up : Compact rentals in Wenatchee — $36 Hotwire