- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the most picturesque and accessible waterfront cities on Puget Sound, Gig Harbor has a neat, circular bay dotted with sailboats and fronted by hills of evergreens and million-dollar homes. Expect spectacular views all along the town's winding 2-mi bayside walkway, which is intermittently lined by boat docks, kitschy shops, cozy cafés, and broad expanses of open water.
The bay was a storm refuge for the 1841 survey team of Captain Charles Wilkes, who named the area after his small gig (boat). A decade later Croatian and Scandinavian immigrants put their fishing, lumber, and boat-building skills to profitable use, and the town still has strong seafaring traditions. By the 1880s, steamboats carried passengers and goods between the harbor and Tacoma, and auto ferries plied the narrows between the cities by 1917.
The town winds around the waterfront, centering at the crossroads of Harborview Drive and Pioneer Way, where shops, art galleries, and restaurants often attract more foot traffic than vehicles. From here, Harborview makes a long, gentle curve around the bay toward the renovated Finholm Market building, which has shops, docks, a restaurant, kayak rentals, and more views. A Gig Harbor Historical Society self-guided walk brochure covers 49 sights (see if you can spot the 16 metal salmon sculptures, designed by local artists, placed in front of sights around town).
Gig Harbor at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Seattle Environs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $149-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $135 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $135 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle