- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Snohomish is an undeniably quaint and quiet residential town. First Street is the center of the historic district, where elegant 19th-century buildings now house shops, restaurants, and small inns. Dutch Colonial-style homes, English-style cottages, and gingerbread Queen Annes are close-set along the narrow lanes. Not surprisingly, the town is the self-proclaimed "Antiques Capital of the Northwest," with more than 400 stores, shops, and vendors selling old treasures.
A string of former logging and mining towns lines Highway 2 southeast of Snohomish. Sultan, at the confluence of the Sultan and Skykomish rivers, was founded as a gold-mining settlement, and some folks still pan the river. Gold Bar, a rough mining camp in the 1800s, is now a quiet resort town. Follow signs on First Street to the 2-mi trail winding uphill to 250-foot Wallace Falls, one of the highest waterfalls in the northern Cascades. East of Skykomish, U.S. 2 crosses the Cascade crest along 4,061-foot-high Stevens Pass; farther east is the faux-Bavarian village of Leavenworth. Wenatchee, the orchard-filled apple capital of Washington, sits even closer to the sunrise in a valley at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers.
Elsewhere in Seattle Environs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $174 & up -- SF: 4-Star Hotel near Union Square, 45% Off Expedia
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $169-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day — $169-$189 Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $140 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $140 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle