- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Smith Tower Review
The iconic Smith Tower opened on July 4, 1914, and was the tallest office building outside New York City and the fourth tallest building in the world. (It remained the tallest building west of the Mississippi for nearly 50 years.) The Smith Tower Observation Deck on the 35th floor is an open-air wrap-around deck providing panoramic views of the surrounding historic neighborhood, ball fields, the city skyline, and the mountains on clear days. The ride to the Observation Deck is via a manually-operated elevator (the last on the west coast) and the ground floor was recently restored and returned to its original 1914 footprint as part of a $28 million restoration.
- Address: 506 2nd Ave. S, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA, 98104 | Map It
- Phone: 206/622-4004
- Cost: $7.50
- Hours: May--July, daily 10 am--8:30 pm; Apr. and Oct., daily 10--5; Sept., daily 10--7:30; Nov.--Mar., weekends only 10--4. Hours may vary based on the private events schedule; check online before you go.
- Website: www.smithtower.com/Observation.html
- Location: Pioneer Square
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $174 & up -- SF: 4-Star Hotel near Union Square, 45% Off Expedia
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $149-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day — $149-$189 Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $135 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $135 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
I have 3 full days in Seatle, WA. Read more
· News & Features
Taking an art-fueled tour of Europe would be a dream.... Read more
Our latest Fodor's Travel Tastemaker comes to us courtesy of Ace Hotels.... Read more
Seattle and Portland are well known for a farm-to-table, hyper-local philosophy that permeates everything... Read more