- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Chihuly Garden and Glass
Chihuly Garden and Glass Review
Just steps from the base of the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass is a magnificent addition to Seattle Center. Fans of Dale Chihuly's glass works will be delighted to trace his early influences—neon art, Native American Northwest Coast trade baskets, and Pendleton blankets, to name a few—to the vibrant chandelier towers and architectural glass installations he is most known for today. There are eight galleries total, plus a 40-foot-tall Glasshouse and an outdoor Garden, which serves as a backdrop for colorful installations that integrate with a dynamic Northwest landscape, including native plants and a 500-year-old Western Cedar that washed up on the shores of Neah Bay. Chihuly, who was born and raised in Tacoma, was actively involved in the design of the exhibition as well as the whimsical Collections Cafe, where you'll find Chihuly's quirky personal collections on display—everything from tin toys to vintage cameras to antique shaving brushes. Indeed, so many of his personal touches are part of the exhibition space, you can almost feel his presence in every room (look for the guy with the unruly hair and the black eyepatch).
For an extra few dollars, you can also get a combined Chihuly/Space Needle ticket, a great value. Other things to keep in mind are the two-entry admission ticket, which allows you two visit twice in one 24-hour period, so you can see the Glasshouse and Garden both during the day and night. Chihuly Garden and Glass is great for older kids, and their thoughtful Kid's Guide provides activities for further exploration.
If you're staying Downtown, skip the exorbitant parking prices around Seattle Center and ride the Monorail from Westlake Center ($2.25 each way, with departures every 10 minutes). There's plenty to do around Seattle Center and lower Queen Anne, so make a day of it here.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $174 & up -- SF: 4-Star Hotel near Union Square, 45% Off Expedia
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $169-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day — $169-$189 Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $140 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $140 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
We'll be spending 2 days in the Woodinville, WA and 2 in Yakima area. Read more
· News & Features
Taking an art-fueled tour of Europe would be a dream. ... Read more
Our latest Fodor's Travel Tastemaker comes to us courtesy of Ace Hotels.... Read more
Seattle and Portland are well known for a farm-to-table, hyper-local philosophy that permeates everything... Read more