Cape Disappointment State Park (formerly Ft. Canby)
Cape Disappointment State Park (formerly Ft. Canby) Review
The 1,700-acre Cape Disappointment State Park (formerly Ft. Canby) was an active military installation until 1957. Emplacements for the guns that once guarded the Columbia's mouth remain, some of them hidden by dense vegetation. Trails lead to stunning beaches. Be on the lookout for eagles on the cliffs. All of the park's 240 campsites have stoves and tables; some have water, sewer, and electric hookups. The park also has three lightkeepers' residences (houses) available for rent, as well as 14 yurts and three cabins.
Exhibits at the park's Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center tell the tale of the duo's 8,000-mi round-trip expedition. Displays include artwork, journal entries, and other items that elaborate on the Corps of Discovery, which left Wood River, Illinois, in 1804; arrived at Cape Disappointment in 1805; and got back to Illinois in 1806.
- Address: Robert Gray Dr., 2½ mi southwest of Ilwaco off U.S. 101, Ilwaco | Map It
- Phone: 360/642-3029; 360/642-3078
- Cost: Interpretive center $5, park admission free, campsites $21--$28
- Hours: Park: daily dawn--dusk. Interpretive center: daily 10--5
- Website: www.parks.wa.gov
- Location: Ilwaco
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $72.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Tacoma Hotwire
- Book in Tacoma Fr $127+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $16/night less
- Book the The Villa Bed & Breakfast 3 Nts in May Fr $185+/Nt — $185 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Book in Tacoma Fr $98+/Nt — $98 Save with Hotels.com, $11/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Murano Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Expedia
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
At least 2 vehicles went into the water. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more