Cape Disappointment Review
Cape Disappointment was named in 1788 by Captain John Meares, an English fur trader who had been unable to find the Northwest Passage. This rocky cape and treacherous sandbar—the so-called graveyard of the Pacific—has been the scourge of sailors since the 1800s. More than 250 ships have sunk after running aground on its ever-shifting sands. A ½-mi-long path from the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center in Cape Disappointment State Park leads to the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. Built in 1856, it's the oldest lighthouse on the West Coast still in use.
>The U.S. Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment is the Northwest Coast's largest search-and-rescue station. The rough conditions of the Columbia River provide plenty of lessons for the students of the on-site National Motor Life Boat School. The only institution of its kind, the school teaches elite rescue crews from around the world advanced skills in navigation, mechanics, firefighting, and lifesaving. The observation platform on the north jetty in Cape Disappointment State Park is a good place to watch the motor lifeboats. 360/642-2382.
- Address: Ilwaco
- Location: Ilwaco
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Tacoma: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Tacoma Dome in May: $112 & Up Save with Expedia, $42/night less
- Tacoma Savings! Book at Murano Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Courtyard Tacoma Downtown Fr $183+/Nt — $183 Expedia
- Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South in May: $110 & Up — $110 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
We'll be spending 2 days in the Woodinville, WA and 2 in Yakima area. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more