Getting to the northern and southern portions of Southwestern Washington by air is no problem, but traveling to the mountains, coast, and Columbia River Gorge requires considerable road travel.
Portland International Airport is the only nearby airport receiving commercial flights. 877/739-4636. www.portofportland.com/PDX_Home.aspx.
Sea-Tac International Airport. International Blvd. and Pacific Hwy. S, WA. 206/431-4444. www.portseattle.org.
If you're planning to visit the Long Beach Peninsula, Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, and places near the Columbia River Gorge, you're better off flying into Portland International Airport (PDX) in Oregon, 10 mi south of Vancouver, Washington. For visits to Mt. Rainier National Park, it's best to fly into Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (Sea-Tac), a larger airport with more carriers.
Driving is the best way to get from the airports to your Southwestern Washington destination. At Portland's airport, car-rental agencies are on the first floor of the parking garage. At Sea-Tac the agencies have counters in the baggage claim area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Tacoma Rate: Book Fr $127+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $45/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Murano Fr $224+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Courtyard Tacoma Downtown Fr $195+/Nt — $195 Expedia
- Stay 1 night and save 10% off your stay!: Shilo Inn Tacoma in May — $133 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Holiday Inn Express Tacoma in May: $119 & Up — $119 Expedia