- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dungeness Spit Review
Curving 5½ mi into the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the longest natural sand spit in the United States is a wild, beautiful section of shoreline. More than 30,000 migratory waterfowl stop here each spring and fall, but you'll see plenty of birdlife any time of year. The entire spit is part of the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge.
Dungeness Lighthouse. At the end of the Dungeness Spit is the towering white Dungeness Lighthouse; tours are available, though access is limited to those who can hike or kayak out 5 mi to the end of the spit. An adjacent, 64-site camping area, on the bluff above the Strait of Juan de Fuca, is open February through September. 360/683-6638. www.newdungenesslighthouse.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139 & Up: Cheap Port Angeles Stay Hotels.com
- Quality Inn Uptown in May: $133 & Up Expedia
- Save $$ in Port Angeles: Book Fr $137+/Nt — $137 Hotels.com
- Port Angeles Savings! Book at Super 8 Port Angeles Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Expedia
- Explore Port Angeles For Less! Book Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Hotels.com
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
Just starting to plan a possible drive and wondering if a good time to go to avoid crowds would be the end of August/first of September. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more