By Boat & Ferry
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
By Boat & Ferry
Washington State ferries depart from Anacortes, about 76 mi north of Seattle, to the San Juan Islands. Sunny weekends and summer months mean long lines of cars at ferry terminals all around the San Juan Islands. No reservations are accepted (except for the Sidney-Anacortes run from mid-May through September). Passengers and bicycles load first, and loading stops two minutes before sailing time.
The Mosquito Fleet connects Everett to Friday Harbor daily from early July through Labor Day, Thursday through Sunday in September, and weekends in October for $39.50. Humpback Hauling makes runs between the islands in summer for $95. The San Juan Islands Shuttle Express takes passengers from Bellingham to Orcas Island and Friday Harbor for $65 one-way. The San Juan Island Commuter has daily scheduled service for $35 one-way to 16 islands in the San Juans, including four islands that are state parks. The ferry also carries kayaks, bicycles, and camping equipment. April through October, the P.S. Express passenger-only ferry cruises daily from Port Townsend to Friday Harbor for $53 one-way. You can reach Victoria, British Columbia, from Seattle via Friday Harbor on the Victoria Clipper for $73 round-trip. The Victoria Express runs from Friday Harbor to Victoria for $53, continuing on to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula.
Humpback Hauling. 360/317-7433.
Mosquito Fleet. 425/252-6800 or 800/325-6722. www.whalewatching.com.
P.S. Express. 360/385-5288. www.pugetsoundexpress.com.
San Juan Island Commuter. Bellingham Cruise Terminal, aka Alaska Ferry Terminal, 355 Harris Ave., No. 104, Bellingham, WA. 360/734-8180 or 888/734-8180.
San Juan Islands Shuttle Express. Bellingham Cruise Terminal, aka Alaska Ferry Terminal, 355 Harris Ave., No. 105, Bellingham, WA. 360/671-1137 or 888/373-8522.
Victoria Clipper. 206/448-5000 or 800/888-2535. www.victoriaclipper.com.
Victoria Express. 360/452-8088. www.victoriaexpress.com.
Washington State Ferries (800/843-3779 automated line in WA and BC; 888/808-7977; 206/464-6400. www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $149-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $135 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $135 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle
- $86 -- 3-Star Downtown Seattle Hotel Near Space Needle — $86 Hotwire.com