- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The northern gateway to the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest, Rawlins stands at the junction of U.S. 287 and I-80. Started as one of the Union Pacific's hell-on-wheels towns, this was an important transportation center as early as 1868, when miners heading for the goldfields at South Pass to the north rode the rails to Rawlins or points nearby, then went overland to the gold diggings. The town became a large sheep-raising center at the turn of the 20th century. Kingpins in the sheep industry, such as George Ferris and Robert Deal, also backed the development of the Grand Encampment Copper Mining District in the Sierra Madres after miner Ed Haggarty discovered copper there in 1897.
Declines in sheep raising, long Rawlins's mainstay industry, have hurt the community economically, as have downturns in regional mineral production. But the city of 10,000 is still home to many railroad workers and employees of the Wyoming State Penitentiary outside of town. In summer there are weekly free concerts in the park.
Rawlins at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cheyenne, Laramie and Southern Wyoming
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
- Fort Bridger State Historic Site
- Green River
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Rock Springs Rate: Book Fr $122+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $7/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Rock Springs Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- $31.28 & up : Full Size rentals in Laramie Hotwire
- Book in Rock Springs Fr $131+/Nt — $131 Save with Hotels.com, $48/night less
- $19.99 & up : Compact rentals in Rock Springs — $20 Hotwire