- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Snowy Range Scenic Byway
Snowy Range Scenic Byway Review
Highway 130 between Centennial and Saratoga is known as the Snowy Range Scenic Byway. This paved road, which is in excellent condition, crosses through the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest, providing views of 12,013-foot Medicine Bow Peak and access to hiking trails, 10 campgrounds (6 right near the road), picnic areas, and 100 alpine lakes and streams. Gravel roads lead off the route into the national forest.
At the top of the 10,847-foot Snowy Range Pass, about 10 mi west of Centennial, take a short walk to the Libby Flats Observation Site for views of the Snowy Range and, on clear days, Rocky Mountain National Park to the southwest in Colorado. Lake Marie, a jewel of a mountain lake at an elevation of approximately 10,000 feet, is also here. On the Saratoga side of the mountain the road passes through pine forest and descends to the North Platte River valley, with cattle ranches on both sides of the highway. Note that there is ongoing construction near the junction of Highways 130 and 230, 8 mi south of Saratoga. Also, the byway is impassable in winter and therefore is closed between approximately mid-October and Memorial Day.
Maps are available from the Centennial Visitor's Center Hwy. 130, 1 mi west of Centennial, 82055. 307/742-6023.
- Address: Centennial, WY
- Location: Centennial
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Cheyenne Hotwire
- Cheyenne Savings! Book at Fairfield Inn Cheyenne Fr $164+/Nt Expedia
- $28.36 & up : Full Size rentals in Cheyenne Hotwire
- $115.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Cheyenne — $115 Hotwire
- $25.14 & up : Compact rentals in Cheyenne — $26 Hotwire
My family took a summer vacation late July/early August. Read more
(I started this last July just after we returned from our trip! Read more
Back from a wonderful trip to the Grand Teton National Park area, I wanted to share something of our rafting experience on the Snake River.
We booked with Barker-Ewing, and took the combination float/whitewate Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more