- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thousands of acres of public land attract people to this area to see wild horses, hike, and explore 19th-century emigrant trails. Coal mining has always defined the community of Rock Springs, established when the Union Pacific Railroad pushed through the area in the late 1860s. The mines drew laborers from a variety of nationalities, making this a real melting pot of cultures. Sprawled at the base of White Mountain, Rock Springs, population 24,000, is the site of Western Wyoming Community College, a facility known for its paleontological resources.
The Red Desert to the north and east is home to hundreds of wild horses; you can often catch a glimpse of them from area highways.
Rock Springs at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cheyenne, Laramie and Southern Wyoming
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
- Fort Bridger State Historic Site
- Green River
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Rock Springs Fr $96+/Nt Hotels.com
- Hampton Inn Rock Springs on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- $24.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Rock Springs Hotwire
- Super Low Rock Springs Rate: Book Fr $127+/Nt — $127 Save with Hotels.com, $22/night less
- $19.99 & up : Compact rentals in Rock Springs — $20 Hotwire