- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
I-80 is the major artery through this region, running from Cheyenne at the southeast corner of the state west to Evanston in the southwest corner of the state.
Once you explore this region, it becomes apparent why Wyoming has earned the nickname the "Cowboy State." The plains remain a prime grazing spot for wild horses, cattle, and sheep. As you drive west, the plains give way to the snowcapped mountains of the appropriately named Snowy Range. After a few more hours driving west you'll reach the Red Desert, with unique rock formations and herds of wild horses and pronghorn.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Cheyenne this May Fr $139+/Nt Expedia
- $108.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Cheyenne Hotwire
- $24.71 & up : Economy rentals in Cheyenne Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in Cheyenne this May Fr $145+/Nt — $145 Expedia
- $29.57 & up : Full Size rentals in Cheyenne — $30 Hotwire