- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Unless you're traveling with a package tour, a car is essential here. I-90 cuts directly through northeastern Wyoming, hitting the towns of Sheridan, Buffalo, Gillette, and Sundance. I-25 runs south from Buffalo through the Big Horns to Casper, Douglas, Cheyenne, and eventually Denver. There are no interstate highways west of the Big Horns, so U.S. 14—one of two routes that cross the mountain range—is the main road in this part of the state, connecting Cody with I-90.
Because the territory in this part of the world is so sparsely populated, it's almost impossible to find gas and repair shops at your convenience. There are few towns along the major routes here, including the interstates, so it's wise to plan your trip in advance. Although most of the country has gone to 24-hour credit-card gas pumps, these pieces of technology haven't hit the smaller towns in Wyoming, and it's rare to find a gas station open past the early evening unless you're in Gillette, Sheridan, Casper, or Cody. If you're driving in a particularly remote region, it's wise to take along extra water. Although the communities here employ great fleets of snowplows in the winter, it can sometimes take them time to clear the upper elevations. Some passes in the Big Horns close entirely. Keep in mind, too, that residents are used to driving in a little snow and ice, so the plows will come out only if accumulations are substantial.
Contact the Wyoming State Highway Patrol for information on road conditions.
Wyoming State Highway Patrol. 888/996-7623 or 800/442-9090. dot.state.wy.us.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $70.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Casper Hotwire
- Book in Casper: Save this May Fr $166+/Nt Expedia
- $37.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Casper Hotwire
- Save in Casper: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $127+/Nt — $127 Expedia
- $33.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Casper — $34 Hotwire