- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Jackson Hole, the valley to the east of the Tetons, is a world-class ski destination, with literally thousands of ways to get down the slopes. In the valley the town of Jackson works to maintain its small-town charm while serving as the area's cultural center. In the Wind River Mountains the Oregon-California-Mormon trail sites near South Pass merit a visit, and you can learn about Native American traditions on the Wind River Indian Reservation.
You will need a car to tour northwest Wyoming; to reach the really spectacular backcountry a four-wheel-drive vehicle is best. Major routes through the area include U.S. 191, which runs north-south through Jackson, on the western edge of the state, and U.S. 26/287, which runs east of Grand Teton National Park (also on the western edge of the state, within the Jackson Hole valley) toward Dubois. Much of the driving you do here will take you through the mountains—including the Absaroka and Wind River ranges that dominate the region.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $75 -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort incl. Bowling Captain's Quarters
- $98 & up -- Two-Bedroom Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Condo SeaSide
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel