Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
Any tour of northwest Wyoming should include a day or two, at minimum, in Jackson Hole, where you can explore Grand Teton National Park. Also in Jackson Hole is the small but bustling town of Jackson, with its one-of-a-kind town square entered through elk-antler arches and a stagecoach that gives rides throughout the day in summer. In winter, action is concentrated at nearby Teton Village, where you'll find unparalleled winter sports offerings at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. You're likely to share the slopes with Olympic champion skiers and snowboarders.
If you can extend your stay, travel over Togwotee Mountain Pass to little Dubois, where you can stay at a guest ranch, ride horses in the Bridger-Teton National Forest, learn about local history at the Wind River Historical Center, and glimpse the region's wildlife at the National Bighorn Sheep Interpretive Center. After Dubois and environs, head south onto the Wind River Indian Reservation to find exceptional shops filled with arts and crafts locally made by Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone tribal members.
Spend some time in Lander and explore the Wind River Mountains before heading south and then west to South Pass City State Historic Site, near Atlantic City. From here, follow the emigrant trail corridor west and then northwest to Pinedale and its excellent Museum of the Mountain Man.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $470 BookIt.com
- $109 & up -- Anaheim Hotel across from Disney, 45% Off Bookit.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel