Old Faithful Review
Almost every visitor's itinerary includes the world's most famous geyser. Yellowstone's most predictable big geyser—although not its largest or most regular—sometimes reaches 180 feet, but it averages 130 feet. The mysterious plumbing of Yellowstone has lengthened Old Faithful's cycle somewhat in recent years, to every 94 minutes or so. To find out when Old Faithful is likely to erupt, check at the visitor center or at any of the lodging properties in the area. You can view the eruption from a bench just yards away, from the dining room at the lodge cafeteria, or the second-floor balcony of Old Faithful Inn. The 1-mi hike to Observation Point yields yet another view—from above—of the geyser and its surrounding basin.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $126.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Cody Hotwire
- Starting Fr $245: Great Cody Price Hotels.com
- $26.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Cody Hotwire
- $146 & Up: Cheap Cody Stay — $146 Hotels.com
- $24.95 & up : Compact rentals in Cody — $25 Hotwire
My family took a summer vacation late July/early August. Read more
(I started this last July just after we returned from our trip! Read more
Back from a wonderful trip to the Grand Teton National Park area, I wanted to share something of our rafting experience on the Snake River.
We booked with Barker-Ewing, and took the combination float/whitewate Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more