Horse Around in Buenos Aires
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Combine the horsey inclinations of Argentina's landed elite with the country's general sporting prowess, and what do you get? All 12 of the world's best polo players. The game may be as posh as it gets, but most local sports fans take begrudging pride in the stunning athletic showmanship displayed by polistas like 10-goaler Adolfo Cambiaso or Ralph Lauren pinup Nacho Figueras.
Major polo tournaments take place at the Campo Argentino de Polo. Admission to autumn (March-May) and spring (September-December) matches is free. The much-heralded Campeonato Argentino Abierto (Argentine Open Championship) takes place in November; admission to the whole championship starts at 160 pesos. (They only sell admission to individual matches if there are leftover tickets.) You can buy tickets in advance through Ticketek (11/5237-7200 www.ticketek.com.ar) or at the polo field on the day of the event. Av. del Libertador 4000, at Dorrego, Palermo, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, C1426BWN.
For polo match information, contact the Asociación Argentina de Polo. Buenos Aires. 11/44777-8005. www.aapolo.com.
As well as polo players and polo ponies, Argentina also breeds swift racehorses, prized throughout the world.
Catch the Thoroughbreds in action at the Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo. Major races like the Gran Premio Nacional (nicknamed the Argentine Derby and held in November) pull a crowd. Av. del Libertador 4101, Palermo, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, C1426BWC. 11/4779-2800. www.palermo.com.ar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes