- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
Mar de las Pampas
The secret is out: this tiny town, once known only to campers and backpackers, has suddenly become the most sought-after vacation spot on the northern coast. Those willing to fork out the immense summer rents are generally rich, nature-loving porteños. They come for the quiet sandy streets, heavily wooded lots, and stylish stone-and-wood cabins that have become Mar de las Pampas's trademark. Most of these are really glorified hotels and include breakfast and maid service.
Huge dunes separate the town from the beach, and despite the fleets of new four-wheel drives that pack the few blocks around Avenida Cruz del Sur and El Lucero, the commercial center, the sands are wide and peaceful. Two smaller towns, Las Gaviotas and Mar Azul, lie south of Mar de las Pampas, and maintain an equally peaceful—if less-exclusive—back-to-nature vibe.
Mar de las Pampas at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel