- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
The resort town of Pinamar is a home away from home for wealthy porteños who haven't gone to the even snootier Punta del Este in Uruguay. A stay here puts you in the company of film and television stars, models, and politicians.
Top local-brand boutiques compete for space with family-run shops along the otherwise unattractive main street, Avenida Bunge, which is usually packed with browsing teens during peak season. Pretty redbrick summerhouses with well-kept lawns line the sandy, unpaved streets that make up the rest of the town; many follow curving lines inspired by the shapes of sea animals.
The beach has pale sands, though to get a view of the dunes Pinamar was once famous for you need to go much farther north or south of the main drag. Some of the best sands in the area are in Ostende, a small town that is officially 5 km (3 mi) south of Pinamar, but effectively one of its suburbs—the half-hour walk along the beach from Pinamar is a pleasant way to reach it.
Pinamar at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $115 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $115 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel