- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Comfortable long-distance buses connect Buenos Aires with the Atlantic Coast. Although extra buses are added in January and February, tickets sell out fast. Plusmar and Expreso Alberino make numerous daily trips to Pinamar in high season; the five-hour trip costs 75-85 pesos. The best service to Mar del Plata is with Flechabus and Nueva Chevallier; there are 10-20 daily departures, and the five-hour trip costs 90-100 pesos. Local company Montemar runs buses every 15 minutes between Pinamar's bus station and Villa Gesell, the closest town to Mar de las Pampas. They also have buses that run along Avenida Bunge and within Pinamar.
Ferrobaires runs daily trains from Constitución to Mar del Plata (52-69 pesos; six hours). The most comfortable option is the Super-Pullman (90 pesos), which goes to Mar del Plata on Friday night and returns Sunday night.
The Aeropuerto Internacional Mar del Plata (Km 398 on AU 2, about five minutes outside the city) is the beach region's main airport. There are two daily flights (around 500 pesos) year-round to and from Buenos Aires on Aerolíneas Argentinas. Note that this is a coveted route in summer, so make reservations early.
Having your own wheels is a great boon on the coast. You can rent cars locally, or drive from Buenos Aires via Autopista La Plata and AU 2, a two-lane highway that continues straight to Mar del Plata (tolls of 18 pesos). The four- to five-hour drive is just one long straight highway, though that highway does get very busy in summer. To reach the northern coast, come off AU 2 at Dolores, continue 30 km (20 mi) on RP 63 to Esquina de Crotto, then turn onto RP 56. This takes you the 110 km (70 mi) to Pinamar. The Pinamar turn-off also intersects with RP 11, also known as the Interbalnearia, a two-lane coast road that connects Pinamar with Mar de las Pampas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel