- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
Provincial towns like Tigre, San Antonio de Areco, and Colonia de Sacramento in Uruguay are usually extremely safe, and the areas visited by tourists are well patrolled.
Puerto Iguazú is fairly quiet in itself, but mugging and theft are common in nearby Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil, especially at night, when its streets are deserted. Worse yet is neighboring Ciudad del Este in Paraguay, where gun crime is a problem. Avoid the area near the border.
Taxi drivers are usually very honest, and are less likely to rip you off than the transport services arranged by top hotels. All the same, locals recommend unaccompanied women phone for taxis late at night, rather than hailing them on the street. The police in the provinces have an iffy reputation: at worst, horribly corrupt, and at best, rather inefficient. Don't count on support, sympathy, or much else from them if you're the victim of a crime.
Argentina Emergency Services:
Brazil Emergency Services:
General Emergencies (199.)
Uruguay Emergency Services:
General Emergencies (911.)
Policía Caminera (Highway Patrol) (108.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel