The Northwest Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
The Quebrada: In this craggy, vast, color-splashed landscape, gaze up from time to time at the eternity of stars or the otherworldly carved walls of the gorge.
Sports and the Outdoors: Mountains, valleys, lakes, streams, and plains make this region ideal for hiking, horseback riding, rafting, fishing, and rock climbing. Or you could take a spin in a kite buggy on the Salinas Grandes.
Folk Music: In this hub of Argentina's folkloric music scene, a trip to one of Salta's peñas (halls of food, music, and dancing) is essential. Wind instruments, diverse percussion, and soaring harmonies define the high-Andean sound track.
Wine: Though they usually take a backseat to wines from the central Mendoza Province, the wines of the north, especially in the Cafayate region of Salta, are gaining worldwide recognition.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel