- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The landscape in Argentina's northwestern reaches is incredibly varied—from 22,000-foot-high Andean peaks to the high, barren plateau known as the Puna, from subtropical jungles to narrow sandstone canyons. Much of the area is desert, cut and eroded by raging brown rivers that wash away everything in sight during summer rains. It's inhabited by tough, resilient peoples who've got the land in their blood and their culture. The area also has some of the country's most vibrant cities, but even they close down each afternoon for a lengthy siesta.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel