- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Las Leñas is the largest ski area served by lifts in the Western Hemisphere—bigger than Whistler/Blackcomb in British Columbia, and larger than Vail and Snowbird combined. Although it should be thriving, the area has suffered bankruptcies, absentee owners, and several management teams. You must go through tour operators and travel agents to book into area hotels, all of which require a minimum stay of one week. Accommodations range from dorm-style houses and apart-hotels—some in disrepair—to deluxe hotels with indoor/outdoor pools, nice restaurants, bars, casinos, and a ski concierge. Travel offices in Buenos Aires, Mendoza, and San Rafael sell ski packages with lift tickets, equipment, and, in some cases, transportation—which may involve a combination of bus rides and charter flights.
The ski season runs from June through October. Most South Americans take their vacation in July, the month to avoid if you don't like crowds and high prices, although the weather is more benign. August has the most reliable snow conditions, September the most varied. Prices for lifts and lodging are lowest from mid-June to early July and from mid-September to early October; rates are highest from mid- to late July.
Las Leñas at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes