- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The provinces of Mendoza and San Juan, in the central west portion of Argentina, lie at the foot of the highest Andean ranges along the border with Chile. The city of Mendoza and its surrounding departments are in Mendoza Province's northern portion, 1,040 km (646 mi) from Buenos Aires but only 360 km (224 mi) from Santiago, Chile. The east-west Ruta Nacional 7 (RN7 Pan Americano or Panamerican Highway) crosses the Andes from Mendoza to Chile and links Argentina and neighboring countries (Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay) with Pacific ports. Ruta Nacional 40 runs north-south the length of the country, passing through San Juan and down to Mendoza, the Valle de Uco, and San Rafael.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes