- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sports and the outdoors
Tupungato Volcano. Snowcapped Tupungato Volcano (6,800 meters/9,200 feet) looms above the high peaks that march along the border between Chile and Mendoza Province. Tupungato Provincial Park covers 110,000 hectares (272,000 acres) in the wesern portion of the departments of Luján de Cuyo, Tupungato, and Tunuyán. There are no roads into the park, but local tour companies lead horseback rides and hikes into the area. Some offer six-day horseback rides to the Chilean border. Mules can be hired to climb to South Glacier at 2,000 meters (6,562 feet). Tupungato, Mendoza.
Make arrangements for horseback riding, hiking, and fishing through area ranches and hotels.
Estancia Rancho e' Cuero. Near Tupungato, this estancia offers ranch stays with riding, hiking, fishing, and excursions into the mountains to view condors and guanacos. Tupungato, Mendoza. 261/496-1491 or 261/15-569-2364. www.ranchoecuero.com.ar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes