Salvador and the Bahia Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
As a rule, the farther away from the downtown area, the better the beach in terms of water cleanliness and number of people, especially on weekends.
Beaches in Bahia, as in most of Brazil, tend not to have facilities like bathrooms or showers.
Pickpocketing and minor theft can be a problem. Bring as few items to the beach as possible, and just enough money for the day. Never leave anything unattended.
Vendors, no matter what age or gender, tend to be aggressive and overly persistent in Bahia, sometimes bordering on harassment. You might have to say no many times before they move on. Be patient or look for police officers (there are usually several on duty at Centro Historico for this reason alone).
Larger cities such as Salvador, Ilhéus, and Porto Seguro have quick and comfortable public transportation to beaches, like the ônibus executivo (executive bus; a minibus or van, usually labeled roteiro das praias).
Be careful when entering the water for the first time—a few steps in can put you in deep waters.
Be aware of rock outcroppings and coral reefs that can cut your feet.
If you plan to snorkel, bring your own gear. Rentals are not always available.
Food and drink are available at almost every beach, except those you have to hike to. However, if you're squeamish about eating food from a beach vendor, bring your own.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore