- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You can see capoeira in almost any beach or park in Salvador and Bahia. Some places are traditional gathering points for practitioners. One such place is the parking lot of Forte de Santo Antônio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday early evenings. Two schools practice here, of which the Grupo de Capoeira Angola is the best known.
Bimba's Academy. There are several capoeira schools in Salvador for anyone who wants to learn the art that trains both the mind and body for combat. Mestre Bamba (Rubens Costa Silva) teaches at Bimba's Academy. A single hour-long class costs R$20. Rua das Laranjeiras 01, Pelourinho, Salvador, 40025-230. 071/3322-0639. www.capoeiramestrebimba.com.br.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore