- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Covering nearly 570,000 square km (220,000 square mi) of eastern Brazil, the state of Bahia is is hilly and dry. The vibrant capital of Salvador sits on the Atlantic Ocean about 1,649 km (1,024 mi) north of Rio de Janeiro and 1,962 km (1,219 mi) north of Saõ Paulo. The coastline, with its beautiful beaches, gets most of the attention. The 900 km (560 mi) of coastline is about a third of that in the entire country.
On the southern tip of a triangular peninsula, Salvador sits at the mouth of the Bahia de Todos os Santos. The peninsula forms a natural harbor and shelters the city from the open waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Salvador is a hilly city, with the Cidade Alta (Upper Town) quite a bit higher than the Cidade Baixa (Lower Town).
The Cocoa Coast
Ilhéus and Comandatuba are the main attractions of the Cocoa Coast, which begins about 460 km (286 mi) south of Salvador. The region is famous as the setting for Jorge Amado's romantic novels of Bahian life. Ilhéus is where you'll find kilometers of beaches, forest reserves, and mineral springs. Comandatuba has one of the most luxurious resorts in South America.
The Discovery Coast
Located 723 km (450 mi) south of Salvador, Porto Seguro is one of the country's most popular destinations. With the construction of new roads, the villages of Arraial d' Ajuda and Trancoso are now more accessible. Also popular destinations in the Discovery Coast are Atlantic Forest Reserves protecting the natural habitat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore