- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Stay alert and guard your belongings at all times. Avoid wearing expensive sneakers or watches and flashy jewelry, or carrying cameras or laptops—all of which attract attention. Muggers love to target Centro and Liberdade nieghborhoods. Crimes often occur at ATMs throughout the city and at the airports, particularly if you're carrying a laptop.
If you're driving, stay alert during traffic jams and at stop signs, especially at night, and don't deviate from the main streets and beltways. Watch out for motorcycle drivers—there are many who are express couriers, but some are robbers. You should always be wary when there are two people on one bike. It's best to keep your windows up and doors locked.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes