- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the oldest settlements in Brazil, Cabo Frio was established in the early 1500s as a port from which wood was shipped to Portugal. Today it's best known for its lovely seaside setting. Renowned for fresh seafood, Cabo Frio is a popular weekend getaway for residents of Rio de Janeiro. It's also a favorite destination for water-sports enthusiasts. Don't miss the chance to go diving in Arrial do Cabo, which has some of the clearest water in Brazil.
Cabo Frio hotels are not as nice as those in nearby Búzios, so you're better off staying in Búzios and taking a day trip to Cabo Frio.
Cabo Frio at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Rio
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore