When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
The towns along the Blue and Green coasts are packed solid between Christmas and Carnival, so reservations should be made well in advance. The populations of party towns like Paraty and Búzios can more than double as young people arrive from nearby Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo on the weekend.
The weather along the coast is fairly predictable: summers are hot. During low season, from March to October, the weather is mild and the beaches are practically deserted. To top it off, prices can be half of what they are in high season. In the interior, Petrópolis, Teresópolis, and Novo Friburgo offer a refreshing change from the oppressive heat of the coast. Prices are reasonable even during high season.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore