- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
While most resort towns boast an airport of some kind, the state of Rio is small enough that few people fly to destinations within the state. The roads along the Blue and Green coasts and to the resort towns in the mountains tend to be well maintained, so most Brazilians travel by car or bus.
Driving within the city of Rio can be a daunting experience even for the most hardened of city motorists, but once out of the city it's fairly easy to get around. The roads, especially to the major tourist destinations, are well signposted. To get to Ilha Grande you'll need to leave your car in Angra dos Reis and catch a two-hour passenger ferry to the island.
Car rental in resort towns can be extortionate, so rent in Rio if you plan to rent a car.
Buses are cheap, comfortable, and efficient, but the terminal in Rio can be intimidating, and be sure to travel light. If you feel like splurging, join the rich and famous and charter a helicopter from Rio to Búzios. TEAM offers fixed-wing charters to Búzios, but you need enough people to fill up the flight, and, with wait times and transfers, it's almost quicker by car.
Avoid leaving the city on a Friday afternoon, when residents flee the city en mass and the traffic is horrific.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore