The Amazon Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Amazon
The Rain Forest: Experience the largest tropical forest in the world and one of the wildest places on the planet.
The River: Explore the largest river in the world (by volume) and the second-longest, spanning more distance than the continental U.S.; the Amazon is also the earth's biggest freshwater ecosystem, and home to more fish than the Atlantic Ocean.
Exotic Foods: Dig into water-buffalo steak, duck in manioc sauce (pato no tucupi), fried piranha, and other river fish with exotic Indian names such as tucunaré and pirarucú.
Handicrafts: Shop for traditional indigenous crafts, such as woodcrafted and woven items, bows, arrows, blowguns, and jewelry and headdresses of seeds and feathers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe