- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Northeast of Brazil includes the coastal states Bahia, Sergipe, Alagoas, Pernambuco, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraiba, Ceará, Maranhão and the landlocked state of Piauí. In the middle of this region are two large and vibrant cities, Recife and Fortaleza. The region, which covers an area of 1,554,257 square km (600,102 square mi), is home to a little less than a third of the population of the entire country.
In the state of Pernambuco, the sprawling city of Recife has a population of 3,646,204. It's bounded by the Beberibe and the Capibaribe rivers, which flow into the Atlantic. The city is known for the dozens of bridges linking its many boroughs. It is 2,392 km (1,486 mi) from Rio de Janeiro and 2716 km (1,688 mi) from São Paulo.
The capital of Rio Grande do Norte, Natal has a population of 1,234,819. The city is surrounded by dunes on both sides, which gives it a unique appearance. It's 2,680 km (1,665 mi) from Rio de Janeiro and 3,011 km (1,871 mi) from São Paulo.
A thriving economic center, Fortaleza is the entry point for the state of Ceará. The population is 2,416,920, and is growing at a rapid pace. On the Atlantic Ocean, it's 2,808 km (1,744 mi) from Rio de Janeiro and 3,109 km (1,932 mi) from São Paulo.
Fernando de Noronha
An archipelago in the state of Pernambuco, the national marine park of Fernando de Noranha consists of 21 sparsely populated islands. About 354 km (219 mi) from the coast of Brazil, these islands have a population of roughly 2,000.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore