- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Gramado's "smaller sister" is quieter and more low-profile. Brazilians immediately associate this city of 35,000 with the Caracol Waterfall, but it also has great shopping, for cotton and wool-knit apparel, handmade embroidered items, and handicrafts. The impressive views of the forest-clad valleys with meandering rivers also bring many tourists.
Most visitors stay in Gramado, which has many more accommodations, and visit the attractions in Canela as a day trip.
Canela at a Glance
Elsewhere in The South
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore