- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ilha de Santa Catarina
Its nickname is "Magic Island," which is an appropriate moniker for this island with breathtaking shoreline, 42 easy-to-reach beaches—some with warm waters—and seemingly endless vacation activities. Every summer (December-March), thousands of Argentines arrive here, adding to the constant influx of Brazilians, making this one of the country's top tourist destinations. The island's northern praias (beaches) are considered the best—because of their warm waters—and are therefore the busiest. Impressive seascapes dominate the Atlantic beaches, and southern beaches have fewer sun worshippers and a more laid-back atmosphere. Scuba diving, surfing, sailing, and parasailing are among the many water sports. You can also go for nature walks along trails with the ocean as backdrop.
The city of Florianópolis played an important part in the history of the island of Santa Catarina. Settled by colonists from the Azore Islands, it was the southernmost post of the Portuguese empire for some time, and it was the site of several skirmishes with the Spanish before the border disputes were settled. You might be lured by the beaches—which rank among the most beautiful in Brazil—but downtown Florianópolis also has worthwhile attractions.
Note that Brazilians tend to refer to all of Santa Catarina island as "Florianópolis," and all the beaches and forts on the island are under the city's jurisdiction.
Ilha de Santa Catarina at a Glance
- Mercado Público (Public Market)
- Museu Histórico de Santa Catarina
- Praia da Joaquina
- Praia da Lagoinha do Leste
- Praia do Canasvieiras
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The South
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $147 -- Rio de Janeiro: 4-Star Hotel through Summer, 40% Off Novotel Rio De Janeiro Dumont
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore