- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
After crossing the Golfo de Ancud on the morning ferry on your first day, drive south to Ancud. Soak up the port town's atmosphere that afternoon. Head to Dalcahue the next day; if it's Sunday you can wander among the stalls of the morning market. Take the short ferry ride to Isla Quinchao and visit the colorful church of Santa María de Loreto. Back on Isla Grande, head to Castro. Spend the next day visiting the capital's historical and modern-art museums and the lovely church. The following day, head south to Chonchi, known to locals as the "City of Three Stories." From there it's a rough but doable drive to the sparsely populated Pacific coast to visit the Parque Nacional Chiloé, where you can enjoy one of the short hikes through the forest. On your last day head to Chiloé's southernmost town, Quellón.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes