- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
The Andes: Ever-present jagged mountain peaks ring the capital. Wherever you go, you'll see them and remember that you are at the edge of the world.
Great crafts markets: Fine woolen items, expertly carved figurines, lapis lazuli jewelry, and other handicrafts from across the country are bountiful in Santiago.
Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino: Occupying a lovely old building in the center of Santiago that used to be the Royal Customs House, this museum's collection of indigenous pottery, jewelry, and artifacts is a joy for the eye.
World-class wineries: Santiago is in the Maipo Valley, the country's oldest wine-growing district, and some of Chile's largest and most traditional wineries—Concha y Toro and Santa Rita—are within an hour's drive of the city, as is the lovely Casablanca Valley.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes