- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Getting to Santa Cruz is easiest by car; just hop back on the Pan-American Highway (Route 5) and head south 55 km (34 mi) to San Fernando. Pass the first exit north of the city and continue another 2 km (1 mi) to the next exit marked "Santa Cruz, Carretera del Vino, Pichilemu." This is I-50, the "Wine Highway," which takes you west through wine country and on to the coast to Pichilemu, surf capital of Chile. It is very easy to visit most of the valley's wineries by car; in fact, you will see a number of them along the way on this aptly named route.
If using public transportation, take a bus or train to San Fernando and then take the local bus or colectivo (a shared taxi with a fixed route) to Santa Cruz. On most Saturdays you can also take the Wine Train from San Fernando to the Santa Cruz station.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes