The Lake District Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Lake District Restaurant Reviews
Meat and potatoes characterize the cuisine of this part of southern Chile. The omnipresent cazuela (a plate of rice and potatoes with beef or chicken) and pastel de choclo (a corn, meat, and vegetable casserole) are solid, hearty meals. In Puerto Montt, tourists regularly fall in love with the local shellfish offerings, especially when served in traditional plates like curanto and paila marina.
Arguably the greatest gifts from the waves of German immigrants were their tasty küchen, rich fruit-filled pastries. (Raspberry is a special favorite here.) Sample them during the late-afternoon onces, the coffee breaks locals take to tide them over until dinner. The Germans also brought their beer-making prowess to the New World; Valdivia, in particular, is home base to the popular Kunstmann brand.
Browse Lake District Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $289 -- Chile: Swanky Santiago Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off W Santiago
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours LatinEscapes
- Alluring South America IExplore
- Chile Experience — $4,089 IExplore
- Breathtaking Patagonia — $7,995 IExplore