Safety & Precautions
Although you should steer clear of the rough neighborhoods south of Calle 10, you can walk during the day without problems in the old part of town, where most of the sights are located. As always, be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your possessions.
Although Popayán itself has been spared, the civil conflict around the city peaks and troughs. Before traveling by bus or car to Cali or to other popular tourist attractions in the area, including Silvia, Tierradentro, San Agustín, and the Parque Nacional Puracé, check with the local authorities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe