- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Safety & Precautions
Tourists are advised to stick to the shorefront of Santa Marta and the beaches of nearby Taganga and Rodadero, where security is fine. But remember at all times that the city is an important trans-shipment point for the cocaine trade. At night watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers and take taxis.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe