Cuenca and the Southern Highlands Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The less-visited Southern Highlands deserve a more prominent spot on travel itineraries. Cuenca, Ecuador's third largest city, with a collection of colonial architecture that comes close to rivaling Quito's, serves as the gateway to this region. Indigenous ruins in the vicinity are a reminder that Cuenca was the second largest city in the Inca empire, surpassed only by Cusco, in Peru.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Cuenca and the Southern Highlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Cuenca and the Southern Highlands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com
Blame it on Teddy Roosevelt, but Ecuador's signature souvenir bears another country's name. Among Ecuador's most important products is the Panama... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more
Silverseas cruise line will begin sailing to the Galapagos Islands following its purchase of Ecuadoria... Read more
Nestled in the Andean hillside, the Mashpi Lodge opened last week beckoning those looking to get close—very... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now55° F Cloudy 63% Humidity May 17, 2013 at 8:00PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've just returned from an eight day horseback trip with three other women. Read more
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more