- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you've just arrived from Quito or Guayaquil, you might not believe that Cuenca is Ecuador's third-largest city. It hustles and bustles, but with a certain provincial charm. This prosperous and beautiful highland city has retained much of its colonial splendor, and, like Quito's, its city center has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. No building, for example, is allowed to be higher than the highest church steeple, and along its cobblestone streets you'll find colonial mansions with wrought-iron balconies overflowing with potted plants. Here you'll still find old men gossiping in the shady squares and women drying laundry on the grass along the river banks, and on market days—Thursday and Sunday—hundreds of people from surrounding villages crowd into Cuenca's open-air plazas to buy and sell crafts and household items. But despite all that, Cuenca is one of the most advanced cities in Ecuador—it's one of the few cities in Latin America with a controlled water and sewer system.
Cuenca produces fine ceramics and textiles, but is best known for its handsome Panama hats. The cholas Cuencanas—female descendants of mixed Spanish and Cañari couples—are striking in their colorful polleras (gathered wool skirts in violet, emerald, rose, or marigold), satiny white blouses, and fine straw hats.
Cuenca at a Glance
- Carmen de la Asunción
- Catedral de la Inmaculada
- Catedral Vieja
- Iglesia de San Francisco
- Museo de Arte Moderno
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Cuenca and the Southern Highlands
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com